Welcome to The Crossing Inn
About the Inn
The historic Crossing Inn sits on it's original site on the banks of the mighty Fitzroy River, and is the oldest established hotel in the entire Kimberleys region.
Of course, times have changed, and the Inn has seen a number of improvements over that time to cater for travellers with more significant needs than those of the weary prospectors and drovers of a hundred years ago. The Crossing Inn has accomodation to suit mosts tastes and budgets, including motel rooms, all with scenic views of either the gardens or the river, an extensive caravan park and camping ground in a natural bush setting.
History of the Inn
The Inn has welcomed travellers and locals since its establishment on 5th July 1897 by Jospeh Blythe. Originally a "shanty inn and trade store" that served prospectors, bullock team drivers, cattle drovers and locals, it has operated on the same site ever since... although floodwaters have meant continual rebuilding over the years.
Floodwaters through the bars at the Inn are measured by bricks up the wall, and in 1993 this was recorded at 9 bricks high.
The town is a major centre for indigenous Aboriginal people. The Crossing Inn supports many of the initiatives aimed at improving the well-being of the community. For example, inspired by the success of the High School winning the 2000 Olympic Art Competition, the Crossing Inn sponsored and challenged the local youth to do paintings for the outside walls of the 100 year old hotel. The results are amazing - outstanding in both artistic merit and their local content. So the wall of this popular and historic hotel are now a tourist attraction in their own right, and are a wonderful museum of local heritage, culture and art.